Wednesday 16 May 2007

STILL tired!!!

I didn't sleep very worrying about having our medicals done today - what if they find there's something wrong with me?? What if I've put on even more weight than I think I have??? Lots of what ifs!!! Managed to completely muddle up the time of the medical and arrived an HOUR late - greeted by an extremely irate doctor, who seemed mightly p'd off!! Argued that we were there at the time we were told and she did, eventually, calm down. Trouble is when I checked our calender at home - she was right!!!! I feel awful!!! Apart from that nothing else went wrong - we are fit and healthy and the doctor says so!! She even commented that we only seem to go into the surgery for Adoption Medicals (4 so far!!).

After that we went out for lunch at the local garden centre, which was full of crumblies but they do exceedingly nice cakes :-) From there we whizzed off to a neighbouring village to see the new headmistress of Little Prince's school. The older two went to the same school, but all the teachers that taught them have left for one reason or another, so we went to suss out the new head and chat to her about Little Prince's complicated background. She seemed very open to learning how to deal with his 'adoption stuff' and is arranging a meeting between us and his new teacher so we can discuss his particular needs and how to deal with them. We asked about how the school deals with race issues and at the end of the talk she said she would be very interested in me becoming a school governor, with responsibilities for multicultural issues!!! That completely threw me - after 19 years as a housewife (OMG has it been THAT long!!) I'm not that confident about being anything else!! But I do feel these issues are very important, especially given my family's composition now and in the future and I don't feel that our school (despite great intentions) gets it right. Race/multiculturalism is something wheeled out for 'special occassions' (Chinese New Year, Diwali, Eid etc) which is a great start - but they don't think about the faces in children's reading books (mainly white), the dressing up clothes (Disney princesses & superheroes), music heard in school etc. If I was invited to be a governor (and was brave enough to take it up) that is the sort of thing I'd want to be changing - so that the whole underpinning of the school was more multicultural. Lofty ambitions or what?!?!

Next thing was to drop off the completed medicals with Admin at our LA - she needs to get the LA Medical Advisor to check and sign the forms before everything can be sent back to the DfES. Luckily the LA Med. Ad. is at SS offices on Monday and Admin will get them signed there and then, and sent off on their merry way back to Darlington!!! Where hopefully they will be acceptable to DfES and it won't be too much longer before we are at the Notary stage!!! Although I'm keeping my fingers crossed and not counting on anything yet!!!

I took Little Miss Sensible with me when I drove to the LA offices, and we had a good long chat about her plans to volunteer in India. She lived up to her 'name' and listened to my concerns and said she will think about all that we talked about before making a firm yes or no decision!! I really AM the mum of an adult :-)

And an update on Little Prince re his mega early night last night! Thankfully he's fine - no rashes or spots or temperatures or anything else vaguely 'sickness-y' so I've no idea what was the matter with him last night. And I'm not really omplaining - its one of the nicest things about being a mum - cuddling a sleeping child :-) Bliss :-)

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Glad the medicals went well.I think we all worry!!


OUR ETHIOPIAN ADOPTION TIMELINE


25th May 2009 - See New Child again & Court Date

23rd May 2009 - Fly back to Ethiopia

26th March 2009 - Fly to Ethiopia :-)

3rd March 2009 - Dossier Arrived at Orphanage

26th February 2009 - Dossier sent to Ethiopia

22nd December 2008 - Dossier back at DCSF

28th November 2008 - Certificate of Eligibility ISSUED

6th October 2008 - PASSED Approval Panel

7th July 2008 - Homestudy Update Started

28th Feb 2008 - Told LA we wished to change country

OUR CHINA ADOPTION TIMELINE

Formally withdrew from the China Adoption Programme 17th July 2008

LID (Logged in Date) with CCAA 16th August 2007

Documents to China 10th August 2007

Passed Approval Panel 5th March 2007

Homestudy started 6th June 2006

First Contact with our LA 1st Jan 2006