Saturday 18 October 2008

Rant Alert!!

Mr Messy brought a catalogue home for "The White Company" mainly for the style of photography featured in its pages. I was having a flick through it, as I like a lot of their linens and accessories and saw some absolutely gorgeous things, that would be perfect for Ethiopia MeiMei's bedroom. However, I will not be buying from this company! The reason?? It seems that their name extends to the models they use in their advertising too. Every single child, apart from one who may have been at least partly Chinese, was white. Every single one!!! I'm going to be writing to the company over the weekend to express my disgust and explain why I won't be buying anything from them. I'm refusing to even put a link to the company in this post, if you want to find them you'll have to google them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes but mum, I'm sure that if they were called 'The Black Company' and only featured black girls, you would say how wonderful that is! Don't deny it, I've known you a long time, I know how you think!

Janet said...

Hi,
I think that in this day and age that a company calling itself The White Company should have the sense to use a multicultural set of models. And I would be just as upset with a company called The Black Company only featuring black models. My family isn't all one or the other and neither is the modern world, so companies should strive to reflect that in their advertising.
Lots of love
Mummy
xxxx

Rosie said...

The White Comapany has nice items but very middle class and they should think about making it more multi cultural.
Have you been to the www.pier.com Its got fantastic ethnic furniture etc...love that shop.

Janet said...

Hi Rosie,
I LOVE The Pier too :-)
Love
Janet
xxx


OUR ETHIOPIAN ADOPTION TIMELINE


25th May 2009 - See New Child again & Court Date

23rd May 2009 - Fly back to Ethiopia

26th March 2009 - Fly to Ethiopia :-)

3rd March 2009 - Dossier Arrived at Orphanage

26th February 2009 - Dossier sent to Ethiopia

22nd December 2008 - Dossier back at DCSF

28th November 2008 - Certificate of Eligibility ISSUED

6th October 2008 - PASSED Approval Panel

7th July 2008 - Homestudy Update Started

28th Feb 2008 - Told LA we wished to change country

OUR CHINA ADOPTION TIMELINE

Formally withdrew from the China Adoption Programme 17th July 2008

LID (Logged in Date) with CCAA 16th August 2007

Documents to China 10th August 2007

Passed Approval Panel 5th March 2007

Homestudy started 6th June 2006

First Contact with our LA 1st Jan 2006