Wednesday 5 November 2008

Look what I've found :-)

We are getting Little Prince a HUGE wooden fort for Christmas, its very sturdy and will (hopefully!!) stand up to years of rough play with him and his friends. The Knights that come with the fort aren't as sturdy though, and I've been wracking my brains to think of something that will withstand Little Prince's style of play! Then I had a flash of inspiration (thank you TV ads lol) and we are going to get him Playmobil Knights :-) However when I've been looking at the different sets that are in the shops, all the Knights are white and I definitely don't like that! So I've searched around and found that Playmobil actually make three minority ethnicity families (black, mixed race and Chinese) and I've ordered him the black and mixed race ones :-) I know its only a small thing, but living where we do (rural, very white village) we have to do all that we can to make sure Little Prince and Ethiopia MeiMei (one day) see themselves reflected in their toys.

I also found a set of Arabic troops and a set of Crusader troops, which for now he can just play with and as he grows we can use to begin to explain the historical reasons behind Muslim/Christian conflicts. Yet another big concept for a such a little boy.

6 comments:

Rob,Dawn,Catherine and Iain and Maura said...

Janet, I have to tell you that Iain still plays with all his play-mobile. It has been his favorite toy since he was 15 months. That is when he received his first castle and all his knights. I catch him in his room playing war with them even at 13.He has deceided that he is ready to pack them away, but it has still not happened. Great toy!!!!

Janet said...

Hi Dawn,
I totally agree :-) Drama Teen and her friend got some of her old Playmobil down from the attic to play with a few weeks ago and had a ball with them :-) And my Mum and Dad still have my brother's old Playmobil at their house for the grandkids to play with :-) I'm even more happy with it now that I can get the figures in different ethnicities :-)
Love
Janet
xxx

Anonymous said...

Playmobil stuff is great :-) Virtually indestructable and big enough to be easier to find when it goes down the back of the settee, which is why mum has some still from your baby bro and baby sis still there ready to be played with by the littler ones (all of them since I was little I guess).

Baby Bro

Anonymous said...

I think some were mine!!

Baby Sis
xxx

Janet said...

lol Baby Bro,
It has to be indestructible to have lasted since you were a wee lad!!!
Lots of love
The even older Janet
xxxx

Janet said...

Hi Baby Sis,
Yes some were probably yours! Baby Bro had the construction set and you had the park set??
Love
Me
xxxx


OUR ETHIOPIAN ADOPTION TIMELINE


25th May 2009 - See New Child again & Court Date

23rd May 2009 - Fly back to Ethiopia

26th March 2009 - Fly to Ethiopia :-)

3rd March 2009 - Dossier Arrived at Orphanage

26th February 2009 - Dossier sent to Ethiopia

22nd December 2008 - Dossier back at DCSF

28th November 2008 - Certificate of Eligibility ISSUED

6th October 2008 - PASSED Approval Panel

7th July 2008 - Homestudy Update Started

28th Feb 2008 - Told LA we wished to change country

OUR CHINA ADOPTION TIMELINE

Formally withdrew from the China Adoption Programme 17th July 2008

LID (Logged in Date) with CCAA 16th August 2007

Documents to China 10th August 2007

Passed Approval Panel 5th March 2007

Homestudy started 6th June 2006

First Contact with our LA 1st Jan 2006