Wednesday 26 November 2008

Realisations

Its just beginning to hit me that there could already be a little girl lying alone in a cot in an orphanage in Ethiopia who will one day become our daughter. She could have already lost the person and family she should have been able to depend on for the rest of her life. She could be hungry. She could be cold. She could be ill. She could be my baby one day and I'm not there to look after her. Just like I wasn't for Little Prince's first 19 months. Little babies are so vulnerable and helpless they need someone there to look after them. I am sure that the orphanage workers do their very best within the resources they have. But they aren't Mothers or Fathers. The children in their care, however well looked after and however well loved they are, aren't their children. The workers can go home at night to their own families but the babies and children can't. They don't have families and that is so so wrong. How can little babies and children NOT have families? I know about the reasons that babies and children can end up in orphanages, poverty, illness, government decrees on family size. But how can this be allowed to happen? How can I be allowed to gain so much from such profound loss halfway across the world? How can this be right? And how can I bear to know that my daughter, my child, my baby is living in an orphanage without me to care for her? And one day I will have to explain all this to her, when I don't know myself how or why it is possible...

6 comments:

Rosie said...

I was so sorry to hear about your accident and yes the DFES are quicker...well they must not be getting many applications these days!!!
I think you are really brave to go through all this stress again..once is enough for me.I can't see us getting a referral till 2012 now and I have given up that it will happen.It seems that we are unlucky to be dealing with a British system that is inept.Oh well.If I don't get chance have a lovely Christmas,don't get much time on the net anymore or blogger.

Janet said...

Hi Rosie,
Lovely to hear from you :-) I know you are busy now with your new job and Christmas etc. The CCAA have said that everyone who manages to wait will receive a referral, so try to take comfort in that :-)
Love
Janet
xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh Janet - I do hope you will be with your little one very very soon xx

love WL xx

Janet said...

Hi WL,
Thank you :-)
Love
Janet
xxx

Anonymous said...

How exciting for you. Fingers crossed you get to notary soon!!!!!!!!!. We did the same last Christmas when we realised that as the next expedited group to be referred our child had been born and was somewhere in China. Its was quite sureal.

We cant change the circumstances or where our children spend the first part of their lives, we can just bring them as best as we can, and try to help them ovecome anything that arises from this.

Thinking of you and your little girl waiting to be matched to your family
Love the Wongs

Janet said...

Hi S,
Thank you for your reassuring and calming words :-) Its all becoming so real at last that I'm getting such a confusion of feelings and worries.
Hope you are feeling a LOT better now.
Love
Janet
xxx


OUR ETHIOPIAN ADOPTION TIMELINE


25th May 2009 - See New Child again & Court Date

23rd May 2009 - Fly back to Ethiopia

26th March 2009 - Fly to Ethiopia :-)

3rd March 2009 - Dossier Arrived at Orphanage

26th February 2009 - Dossier sent to Ethiopia

22nd December 2008 - Dossier back at DCSF

28th November 2008 - Certificate of Eligibility ISSUED

6th October 2008 - PASSED Approval Panel

7th July 2008 - Homestudy Update Started

28th Feb 2008 - Told LA we wished to change country

OUR CHINA ADOPTION TIMELINE

Formally withdrew from the China Adoption Programme 17th July 2008

LID (Logged in Date) with CCAA 16th August 2007

Documents to China 10th August 2007

Passed Approval Panel 5th March 2007

Homestudy started 6th June 2006

First Contact with our LA 1st Jan 2006