Monday 13 August 2007

Feeling sad and blue :-(

I've been reading the latest post on the Rumour Queen blog and the responses to it. And its making me feel very sad :-( It reminds me of the reactions to the 1999 (ish??) rule changes for China adoption, that allowed people who already had children to adopt non special needs children. Some people publically posted cheers - that they wouldn't have to take a special needs child!! I found that hurtful - one of our children has a special need that is commonly referred from China and it felt like these prospective adopters were cheering because they didn't have to have a child like her. Which they were. And she is one of the most lovely, bouncy, happy, confident girls I know - why wouldn't someone want a child like her?? I guess the situation is just so close to home that it feels very personal - that people are rejecting my child and not an anonymous child with a special need. Anyway it just makes me sad. Very sad.

7 comments:

T said...

I just read that on RQ and it makes me sad too. My sweet little one has a c/l and c/p just repaired and we love her so much and her special need has not been an issue for us anymore than anything else that goes along with raising a child.

k1 said...

It is sad. It's hard to say if their feelings are generated by selfishness or fear.

Some of the sweetest children I know have special need or needs, and some of the most difficult to like are considered "normal".

God bless parents like you, and so many others, that are willing to love a child despite their differences.

Janet said...

I think its hard not to take it personally when these issues affect our own families. Hopefully people will use RQ's message to become more prepared about issues they could face when they receive their referral.

Best wishes
Janet

PS K1 - I don't love my daughter despite her differences, I just love her because she is my daughter :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank You Mummy =]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rosie said...

I was so annoyed and ashamed that people could write about children as "products" and "damaged" goods.It made my blood boil.

k1 said...

Janet, I tried to post this comment earlier today, but apparently it did not go through.

I am very chagrined with the poor way I worded my first comment. My intention behind the comment was exactly what you said, that parents should love their children unconditionally, with or without differences, simply because they are their children.

I apologize if my clumsy wording offended you, your daughter, or any of your other readers!

Janet said...

Hi K1,

Your comment didn't offend me at all, don't worry :-) I just wanted to point out that I love my daughter because she's my daughter - her having a facial difference is neither here nor there - she's just my daughter :-)

Love
Janet


OUR ETHIOPIAN ADOPTION TIMELINE


25th May 2009 - See New Child again & Court Date

23rd May 2009 - Fly back to Ethiopia

26th March 2009 - Fly to Ethiopia :-)

3rd March 2009 - Dossier Arrived at Orphanage

26th February 2009 - Dossier sent to Ethiopia

22nd December 2008 - Dossier back at DCSF

28th November 2008 - Certificate of Eligibility ISSUED

6th October 2008 - PASSED Approval Panel

7th July 2008 - Homestudy Update Started

28th Feb 2008 - Told LA we wished to change country

OUR CHINA ADOPTION TIMELINE

Formally withdrew from the China Adoption Programme 17th July 2008

LID (Logged in Date) with CCAA 16th August 2007

Documents to China 10th August 2007

Passed Approval Panel 5th March 2007

Homestudy started 6th June 2006

First Contact with our LA 1st Jan 2006