Friday 16 January 2009

Musings on why...

I've been thinking through what has been happening with Little Prince and wondering what could be making his behaviour deteriorate so rapidly at the moment.

Thought 1 - he is worried about me going to Ethiopia and being so far away from him, and him missing me. Every time I leave the house without him he asks if I'm going to Ethiopia! I'm trying to reassure him that I wouldn't EVER go away that far and for that long without telling him, but I don't think its sinking in!

Thought 2 - he still hasn't calmed down after the chaotic Christmas we had, and is unsettled by LMS's comings and goings from University.

Thought 3 - a new boy has joined his class at school, who has more behavioural issues than Little Prince (and doesn't seem to have supportive/concerned parents!) and is either encouraging or bullying Little Prince into acting out more. Little Prince told us today that he kicked his friend because New Boy told him to and if he didn't kick New Boy would have punched him!!! I'll be talking to school on Monday!!!

Thought 4 - he has said that he doesn't like school any more and his work is too hard. Maybe the level of work expected of him is beyond his concentration abilities (he is very clever, but just can't concentrate for long periods of time) and he's feeling worried and unfortunately stupid again :-(

There's obviously a lot going on for Little Prince right now, and it could be a combination of all of the above!! Not that any of those thoughts excuse his behaviour and he has to learn that violence is just not acceptable. But knowing what could be behind it might help me and his teacher find a way to stop it getting any worse.

5 comments:

Rosie said...

Janet,
Do you know what happened to Lara? She used to have a blog but its gone?
It must be hard for you at the moment with everything and I do know how you feel.
hugs

Janet said...

Hi Rosie,
I noticed that Lara's blog had disappeared too, but I have no idea why! I hope she's ok.
Thank you, things are difficult, but we will find a way to sort it out :-)
Love
Janet
xxx

Anonymous said...

HI Janet
Lots of hugs first.
I suspect that his issues have alot to do with all 4 points you made.
Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things.
How long will you be gone from him when you do go and can you take a laptop and video skype? It might reassure him if he knew he could "see" you each day (plus the great advantage is that skype is free).

Janet said...

Hi 3cmum,
Thank you hugs are always welcome :-) I think the first trip (the one where I'm going without Little Prince) should be about a week to 10 days, but that's just a guesstimate. I'll be taking a laptop, but I'm not sure how reliable the internet is in Addis and its dial up, so probably won't be using Skype! I'm going to try emailing (words and photos) and ringing if/when I can (but not promising him I will as I might not be able to).
Thank you again and hope you get your leak and the damage it caused sorted out!
Love
Janet
xxx

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Janet xx

love WL xx


OUR ETHIOPIAN ADOPTION TIMELINE


25th May 2009 - See New Child again & Court Date

23rd May 2009 - Fly back to Ethiopia

26th March 2009 - Fly to Ethiopia :-)

3rd March 2009 - Dossier Arrived at Orphanage

26th February 2009 - Dossier sent to Ethiopia

22nd December 2008 - Dossier back at DCSF

28th November 2008 - Certificate of Eligibility ISSUED

6th October 2008 - PASSED Approval Panel

7th July 2008 - Homestudy Update Started

28th Feb 2008 - Told LA we wished to change country

OUR CHINA ADOPTION TIMELINE

Formally withdrew from the China Adoption Programme 17th July 2008

LID (Logged in Date) with CCAA 16th August 2007

Documents to China 10th August 2007

Passed Approval Panel 5th March 2007

Homestudy started 6th June 2006

First Contact with our LA 1st Jan 2006