Tuesday 10 February 2009

The Doors are Back in Town!!

Well in my house anyway lol. We finally have doors upstairs again, after plenty of snow caused delays! All except the bathroom lol. Two doors needed completely replacing, rather than being stripped and being able to put them back in place. One door (LMS/Little Prince's room) and the bathroom. The Handyman didn't have time to plane both doors to size, so unfortunately we have to wait until tomorrow to have a door on the bathroom! I also have to find new handles, as the stripping place ruined the finish on them. We thought they were bakelite, but they must have been ebonised wood, and the ebony coating has been completely stripped off leaving very manky looking handles! Luckily Ebay has quite a few of the style of lock/handle and back plate that I need :-) I just have to keep my fingers crossed that I win them! There are reproduction ones available, but they look too new - I want old original ones!

4 comments:

Whatshername's Mummy said...

In haste - use sniper, it automatically bids when you tell it (seconds before auction ends), cheapish and efficient!
K x

Janet said...

Hi Kate,
Thank you :-) I used to use this a lot, but had forgotten all about it!! I'll get Mr Messy to load it back onto my computer and then I'll have a much better chance of getting the locks/handles etc that I want :-)
Love
Janet
xxx

suzanne said...

I bought some beautiful victorian door handles from a re-claim/salvage yard. If you have one near you its worth checking out. Hubby also haggled and got quite a bit more dosh knocked off the price ( Its a Chinese thing, he even got a discount off a suit in Bluewater??!!).

But ebay is a great place I also got some beautiful Victorian fire place tiles which matched the ones in the other room.

Happy bidding:)

Janet said...

Hi S,
We have an antique centre near to us that has the locks I want (but way more expensive!), that I'll visit if I don't manage to win the Ebay ones lol. Could you send Hubby here to negotiate the deal for me :-)
Love
Janet
xxx


OUR ETHIOPIAN ADOPTION TIMELINE


25th May 2009 - See New Child again & Court Date

23rd May 2009 - Fly back to Ethiopia

26th March 2009 - Fly to Ethiopia :-)

3rd March 2009 - Dossier Arrived at Orphanage

26th February 2009 - Dossier sent to Ethiopia

22nd December 2008 - Dossier back at DCSF

28th November 2008 - Certificate of Eligibility ISSUED

6th October 2008 - PASSED Approval Panel

7th July 2008 - Homestudy Update Started

28th Feb 2008 - Told LA we wished to change country

OUR CHINA ADOPTION TIMELINE

Formally withdrew from the China Adoption Programme 17th July 2008

LID (Logged in Date) with CCAA 16th August 2007

Documents to China 10th August 2007

Passed Approval Panel 5th March 2007

Homestudy started 6th June 2006

First Contact with our LA 1st Jan 2006