Tuesday 3 February 2009

Spoke to the DCSF!!

After only 20 minutes of frantic re-dialling I managed to get through to the DCSF!! The lady checked our file and said its currently taking 6-8 weeks to send papers, so we would have about another two weeks to wait. Then she started asking about the email I sent last week, trying to advocate for the expediting of any single adopters who's papers were at the DCSF. The UK Ethiopia Yahoo group (of which I'm now the owner!!) found out last week that MOWA (Ethiopian govt dept that deals with ICA) has decided to stop allowing singles from the UK to adopt! I confirmed this with our Ethiopian contact and then forwarded the information to the DCSF, to try and help anyone caught in this sudden rule change. The papers of the one single adopter I knew about have been sent off, hopefully it will be in time. Anyway the DCSF lady put me on hold and when she came back said our papers would be sent this week!! I was shocked, thrilled and excited! Then it dawned on me that she probably hadn't read our paperwork, and thought that I was a single adopter. As much as I would love to take advantage of this misconception, I had to tell her that I wasn't a single adopter. She apologised profusely for her mix up and then said that she was so very sorry to disappoint me, but our papers can't be expedited for no reason (I agree it wouldn't be fair) and that we are back to them being sent in a couple of weeks or so. What a rollercoaster ride in a 10 minute phone call!!!! I feel totally drained now!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are far to honest. When your dossier is eventually sent please write a letter of complaint to Tom Jefferies. I did about our Hague. Things need to be put down in writing if we are ever going to make changes. Our friends papers to China have been there since April 08???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they visited the notary months ago??????

Anonymous said...

Sorry forgot to say it was me!!!!!

Hugs dont let it get you down. They must send them soon!!!
Love S

Janet said...

Hi S,
I had a feeling it was you :-) I've not stopped thinking about it all afternoon, and if I thought they were expediting ALL Ethiopia applicants I would have been ok. But I don't think I could have lived with myself knowing I'd cheated and got our dossier expedited when there isn't a real need for it. But even knowing that doesn't stop me being so upset about it!! Me and my friend are going shopping tomorrow, and I'll have to hope Retail Therapy cheers me up!
Remind me to write a letter of complaint once we are through dealing with DCSF!!
Love
Janet
xxx

Anonymous said...

goodness gracious! That's nuts. But you did the right thing--I'm impressed....:) You have such a good heart Janet. Just because you did this self-less thing--I think it will turn in your favor down the road some where some how. :) Good turns deserve good turns. Have a great day my friend...

Janet said...

Hi Lisa,
Thank you :-) Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer!! And today I'm off for some much needed Retail Therapy with my friend :-)
I still can't help thinking "What if..." I hadn't said anything, but honesty is always the best policy and I'm sure they would have noticed before our dossier got sent anyway.
Have a lovely day.
Love
Janet
xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi J, hope you enjoyed the retail therapy, did you get anything nice? Don't worry about the phonecall, I would have done the same. I do hope they get your papers off soon - it must be so hard knowing this is the only thing keeping you from being matched, hang on in there xxx

And well done for keeping the DCSF informed about the situation for single adopters, they should expedite you just for that!

love WL xxx

Janet said...

Hi WL,
Retail Therapy was fun :-) I got Little Prince a cute Star Wars t-shirt and hoody from Next, that he's wearing today for non-uniform day :-)
Any news from DCSF on your papers? What excuse are they coming up with for not sending yours? Its so AAAAARGH!!!!
Have fun in the snow (saw the photos).
Love
Janet
xxx

lara said...

Hi Janet,
hope your papers get sent as soon as possible i can imagine that the wait is driving you mad. I do check in from time to time and do plan on blogging again but at the moment life is busy and i have a divorce to sort out now. But hey life goes on.

Janet said...

Hi Lara,
Lovely to hear from you, I was worried when your blog disappeared! I'm so sorry to hear you are divorcing, big big hugs ((((((((((())))))))
Take good care of yourself and keep in touch,
Love
Janet
xxx


OUR ETHIOPIAN ADOPTION TIMELINE


25th May 2009 - See New Child again & Court Date

23rd May 2009 - Fly back to Ethiopia

26th March 2009 - Fly to Ethiopia :-)

3rd March 2009 - Dossier Arrived at Orphanage

26th February 2009 - Dossier sent to Ethiopia

22nd December 2008 - Dossier back at DCSF

28th November 2008 - Certificate of Eligibility ISSUED

6th October 2008 - PASSED Approval Panel

7th July 2008 - Homestudy Update Started

28th Feb 2008 - Told LA we wished to change country

OUR CHINA ADOPTION TIMELINE

Formally withdrew from the China Adoption Programme 17th July 2008

LID (Logged in Date) with CCAA 16th August 2007

Documents to China 10th August 2007

Passed Approval Panel 5th March 2007

Homestudy started 6th June 2006

First Contact with our LA 1st Jan 2006